Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Phishing? Good luck!

So, I made my introduction, now it's time for some posting! And I have just the right topic for it.
Not long ago I received an email from "PayPal". Why is it written between commas? Because it was not from who it said it was. Mean people tried to phish my shit! Now how did I understand it was fake? Look below.

Here I am checking my email and, whoop, out of nowhere email from "PayPal":
Oh, how cool, I received 51 cent (that's 50 Cent + 1,) from mister Joe. I should "claim my money now," but... who the f@#$ is Joe? Something's not right here... Claim money? Since when PayPal has that button? Button not working? Why shouldn't it if it's a multimillion dollar site? Transaction ID? My email instead of my full name? Yeah... something's messed up. Since I received money from a legitimate site just few days ago I checked that email for comparison... heh, spot 10 differences:
It would have ended like that, if curiosity didn't get the last of me... I went tracing. So, I opened both emails in text only format to check for differences:

One is phishing, other is legit. How smart... not really, I now have the IP (but it's probably just a zombie computer, but I checked anyway.)
Opening good ol' command prompt and using tracert:

Compare phishing to the legit. Clear difference! alter.net is Verizon. Well... this ended here. I just reported that email to PayPal and Verizon... hope they'll catch that asswipe!

And lastly I wish You to stay safe and don't fall for scams! If you have any doubt, check twice before clicking anything or providing any info.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment